Sunday, September 23, 2012

Only Child

We had a remarkable morning, Oliver and I. It was just the two of us at the beach. For the first time in months, Little Pup Lodge had no guests. One of the daycare guests, Phinney, was under the weather and the other, Aston, had not yet arrived. Harvey, whom (who?) often joins us just for the beach excursion, was at the vet for dental cleaning. No overnight guests, either; summer vacations are over and things will remain slow until the holidays.
oliver smiling2 I can have fun or I can stay clean. I'll take the former.



We manage to make Mommy and Me time every day when it’s busy. While Nickie watches the brood, Oliver and I will take a drive somewhere, maybe for frozen yogurt or a squirt of whipped cream from Peet’s. On special occasions we hit Marini's Candies for a hot fudge sundae. Oliver has stoically withstood the swirling mass of guests who arrive and leave each day. He sacrificed his only-child status for Little Pup Lodge so it’s important to reaffirm his top-dog status in my heart.

oliver and sundae Weight Watchers be damned!


We ran and chased each other at the beach. We played “Find It,” where Oliver searches for treats I’ve hidden. I actually stopped and looked out at the bay, searching for dolphins. With five dogs in tow, I usually look at nothing but the five dogs and any others headed my way.
oliver smiling Life's a Beach.

I love it when it’s busy and I’m surrounded by my most favorite furry things in the world. I love it when it’s slow so I can have Oliver all to myself. In this business, there are no bad days.

No comments:

Post a Comment